Ultraviolet (UV) water purification system is the most efficient way of disinfecting biological contaminants like bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms from the water. UV water purification systems use special light source mounted in front of the flow chamber through which water passes. This light source emits ultraviolet rays of a particular wavelength which penetrates the harmful substances in water and kills those pathogens by disrupting their genetic core (DNA).
How does UV water filtration work?
When water passes through a UV water purification system, all the living microorganisms in water get exposed to the ultraviolet ray which attacks their DNA and eliminates their ability to reproduce. UV water purification system is the exceptionally efficient method of disinfecting water, which is tested and proven to eliminate almost 99.99 percent of biological contaminants, including those harmful living microorganisms responsible for various water-borne diseases such as cholera, typhoid, hepatitis, and flu. The best thing with UV water purification system is it doesn’t require to use any chemicals like chlorine, or to change the odor or taste of water instead it uses advanced methods of filtration like carbon black filters, and reverse osmosis system.
Advantages of UV water filtration
• The most cost effective method of water purification. Low electrical energy is required for UV water filtration system; UV rays source bulb does not consume more than 60 watts of power which is quite equivalent to any domestic used light bulb.
• It is an entirely chemical-free water filtration process. Instead, use advanced purification techniques like carbon filters.
• Like chemical or chlorine disinfection process, it does not change the taste and odour of your water.
• UV water purification is an eco-friendly process; do not have any disinfection byproducts like chemical disinfection.
• Compared to other purification systems, UV water filtration is a quick purification process. You just need to switch on the electricity supply and Get instantly purified water. It also does not require any water holding tank. Hence, conserves water.
• Once installed, very low maintenance is needed. You’re just required to change UV lamp and pre or post filter (that you’re using it with) once a year.
Disadvantages of UV water filtration
• Only produces biological contaminants free and micro-organisms free water. UV light is unable to eliminate other impurities of water such as heavy metals, mud, chemical substances like chlorine, salts, sediments, volatile organic compounds, etc. So, it becomes necessary to used UV water filtration systems in conjunction with carbon filters or reverses osmosis system to eliminate other dissolved impurities.
• Electricity supply is required to use UV water purifier. While this is not a problem in urban cities, it may not be suitable for rural areas.
UV water purification system is quite a revolutionary water treatment process.This technology has been used for many years by the local municipalities and other commercial water bottling plants. As UV water treatment is simple, swift and safe, millions of people are today using this technology to disinfect water.